MATERIAL BALANCE

CAPACITY=10 MTPD PRODUCTION OF MEK:-

    10MT 1000kg 1 day
     day 1MT 24hr

 

C4H9OH  C4H8O  +H2

To produce 72 kg/hr of MEK  ,SBA required         = 74 kg/hr

To produce 412.5 kg/hr of MEK  ,SBA required   =423.95 kg/hr

Conversion of SBA to MEK is 90%, So

SBA required   =423.95/0.9

=471 kg/hr

And,

74kg of SBA produces H2  = 2 kg/hr

471kg SBA produces H2  = (2/74)(471)

=  12.73 kg/hr

As the conversion of SBA to MEK is 90% so the remaining 10% will be recycled,

As the hydrogen is separated from mixture so ,

Feed enter in distillation coulumn   =  471-12.73    kg/hr

=   458.27  kg/hr

Flow of streams through reactor , separator and distillation coulumn is shown below

Recycling

MEK = 1%               SBA   =   99

MEK BALANCE

M1 × % of MEK  = (M2×% of MEK)+( M3×% of MEK)

458.27 × % of MEK  = (412.5×0.99)+( 45.77×0.01)

% of MEK =  89.2 %

SBA BALANCE

M1 × % of SBA  = (M2×% of SBA)+( M3×% of SBA)

458.27 × % of SBA  = (412.5×0.01)+( 45.77×0.99)

% of SBA = 10.80 %

COMPOSITION OF FEED

  Component   Percentage                  Kg/hr
SBA      10.8                     49.49
MEK      89.2                      408.8
TOTAL      100                     458.3

COMPOSITION OF PRODUCT

  Component   Percentage                  Kg/hr
SBA      1                 4.12
MEK      99 408.4
TOTAL      100 412.5

COMPOSITION OF RECYLE STREAM

  Component   Percentage                  Kg/hr
SBA      99 45.31
MEK      1 0.458
TOTAL      100 45.77

OVER ALL MATERIAL BALANCE

M1= M2 + M3

M1  =  458.3 +12.73

=  471 kg/hr

MEK BALANCE

M1 × % of MEK  = (M2×% of MEK)+( M3×% of MEK)

471 × % of MEK  = (12.73×0)+( 458.3×89.2)

% of MEK =  86.8 %

SBA BALANCE

M1 × % of SBA  = (M2×% of SBA)+( M3×% of SBA)

471 × % of SBA  = (12.73×0)+( 458.3×0.108)

% of SBA = 10.50 %

H2 BALANCE

% of H2 + % of SBA +% of MEK = 100

% of H2  =  100-86.8-10.5

=   2.71 %

COMPOSITION OF FEED

  Component   Percentage                  Kg/hr
SBA      10.5 49.49
MEK      86.8 408.8
H2       2.71 12.73
TOTAL      100 471

COMPOSITION OF BOTTOM PRODUCT

  Component   Percentage                  Kg/hr
SBA      10.8                   49.49
MEK      89.2                    408.8
TOTAL      100                    458.3

COMPOSITION OF TOP PRODUCT

  Component   Percentage                  Kg/hr
SBA      0                   0
MEK      0                    0
H2      100                   12.73
TOTAL      100                    12.73

COMPOSITION  OF  FEED

            COMPONENT PERCENTAGE Kg/hr
                SBA                  10.5 49.49
                 MEK                  86.79                408.8
                H2                  2.72                12.81
                TOTAL                  100 471

Overall flow rate balance sheet

All flow rates are in kg/hr

COMPONENTS REACTOR SEPARATOR DRUM DISTILLATION COULUMN
INLET OUTLET INLET OUTLET INLET OUTLET
TOP BOTTOM TOP BOTTOM
SBA 470.53 49.49 49.49 —– 49.49 49.49 4.12 45.31
MEK 0.47 408.8 408.8 —– 408.8 408.8 408.8 0.458
H2 —— 12.73 12.73 12.73 ——- —- —— —–
TOTAL 471 471 471 12.73 458.3 458.3 412.5 45.77

Overall composition  balance sheet

All compositions are in percentage

COMPONENT REACTOR SEPARATOR DRUM DISTILLATION COULUMN
INLET OUTLET INLET OUTLET INLET OUTLET
TOP BOTTOM TOP BOTTOM
SBA 99.9 10.5 10.5 —– 10.80 10.8 1 99
MEK 0.1 86.79 86.79 —– 89.2 89.2 99 1
H2 —- 2.71 2.71 100 —- —- —– —–
TOTAL 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100

 

About Admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *